The WorryWoos Developing Emotional Intelligence (DEI) Program is a valuable and influential asset to any school or educational setting. The DEI Program is designed to introduce social and emotional learning as a fundamental part of language, visual, and performing arts programs, perfectly blending in with Common Core Standards to create a comprehensive, cross-curricular approach.
The program goals will be accomplished by including lesson plans on emotions, relationships and social-emotional skills in order to:
- Build Empathy
- Create positive emotional understanding
- Improve emotional intelligence
- Develop a healthy social environment
The WorryWoos program is based on several pedagogical philosophies adapted from Gardner's Theory of Multiple Intelligence (Harvard:1983) and the five CASEL Competencies. Together they form the foundation of engaging curriculum which subtly encompasses a UDL (Universal Design for Learning) approach. Lesson plans are presented in an inviting, age/stage appropriate manner relating themes in Literacy and the Arts with activities that reflect attention to developing critical thinking skills.
The Ultimate WorryWoo Emotional Intelligence Package Includes:
Training & Development Resources:
- Developing Emotional Intelligence Curriculum Book
- Helping Young Worriers Beat the WorryBug Handbook
- Helping Young Children Handle Frustration and Anger Handbook
- Set of Seven WorryWoo Posters (One poster per character)
- Nola, the monster of loneliness plush
- Rue, the monster of insecurity plush
- Squeek, the monster of innocence plush
- Fuddle, the monster of confusion plush
- Wince, the monster of worry plush
- Twitch, the monster of frustration plush
- Zelly, the monster of envy plush
- The WorryBug Plush
Plush toys measure from 18-33cm.
- Nola - The Lonely Little Monster
- Rue - The Nose that Didn’t Fit
- Squeek - The Monster in the Bubble
- Fuddle - The Monster who Couldn't Decide
- Wince - Don’t Feed the Worry Bug
- Twitch - The Very Frustrated Monster
- Zelly - The Monster Who Wanted It All
Each book measures 23 x 18cm.
Also included with this Kit is online access to the Educator's Portal.
Evidence Based Social and Emotional Learning with the WorryWoos
After 10 weeks of using the WorryWoo DEIP the teachers found that students were better able to manage their emotions. Specifically, the results indicated a significant positive impact on the students regarding:
- Recognition of basic and complex emotions
- Attitude towards themselves and others
- Ability to control their emotions
- Understanding the feelings of others
- Emotional awareness
- Reduced feelings of "feeling like a failure"
Message to Teachers and Educators
The WorryWoos DEI Program was written by teachers and educators for teachers and educators. The focus is on teaching children to understand, accept and respect everyones emotions. It is based on the WorryWoos book series which was created to help children realise that while we all have the same feelings, not everyone responds to a situation in the same way.
By educating children about emotions at a formative age, we hope that they will be empowered to develop life skills which will help them navigate from pre-school through the teen years. Social and emotional learning is a valuable tool which acts as a bridge between knowledge, impulsive actions and self-awareness, an asset for adults as well as children. The information in this curriculum provides a guideline which you can use to create effective lesson plans for your particular classroom. All suggestions can be tailored to the needs of the learning environment.